Uses of IoT in the cement industry
A system that consists of several computing devices, which can be either mechanical and/or digital machines, having UIDs(unique identifiers) and are all related to each other is termed as the “Internet of Things”. A variety of physical objects or things with sensors, software and various technologies for the main aim of connecting and exchanging data with other systems and devices over the internet is commonly described as the IoT or Internet of things. This system is capable of transferring data through a network even in the absence of any human to human, computer to computer and human to computer. Over the past few years, the IoT has become one of the most important and useful technologies of the modern world. IoT makes seamless communication and connection possible between people, things and processes to everyday objects like kitchen appliances, thermostats, baby monitors, etc. IoT has low-cost computing and thus with minimal human intervention, it can collect and share data.
There are various useful applications of IoT, like for example:
- monitoring of machines, products, and industries constantly to keep a track of their efficiency and also in case of any breakdowns.
- Tracking of assets and ring-fencing to access the location of raw materials of industries.
- IoT wearables enable people to better understand their health and allow physicians to remotely monitor patients. This technology also enables companies to track the health and safety of their employees, which is especially useful for workers employed in hazardous conditions like those associated with mining or cement industries.
The several uses of IoT in cement Industries are discussed below in brief details:
- Uses in manufacturing: cement industry manufacturers can gain a lot of advantages from IoT by using production-line monitoring. The IoT sensors can detect an impending failure and this will help to enable proactive maintenance. The sensors are so technologically advanced that they can sense where and when production is being compromised. The new-age machines are now coming with a whole load of distinct sensors(vibration, sound, warmth, infrared, etc.) that all make use of IoT and are used for recognizing faults in the machines before it reaches the point where the machine stops working With the help of sensor alerts, the pieces of equipment and their malfunctions can be tracked. This further allows the industry to reduce operating costs, improvisation of the asset and also time management
- Uses in transportation, and logistics: One of the most important factors in the transportation of cement and other products for manufacture and distribution of cement is Fleet Management. That is having a wholesome knowledge of each product unit and the vehicle(s) that it is in. In fact, IoT allows for even measuring the tire pressure of any particular vehicle being used for transportation, it’s engine speed and even driver behavior. This also helps to bring down the total cost of transportation. Even the crew that is working makes use of IoT with one of the main examples of it being a SmartPhone or a Tablet. The IoT sensors can detect failures of raw materials or equipment that are in the vehicles on the road already, drivers can also be alerted regarding this. Fleets of cars, trucks, ships, and trains that carry equipment, raw materials, and inventory can be rerouted based on weather conditions, vehicle or driver availability, or any other factor, with the help of IoT sensor data. The sensors can also track and trace as well as monitor temperature if needed.
- Uses in Retail: IoT applications help to manage inventory, improve customer experience, optimize the supply chain, and reduce operational costs in cement industries.
- Uses regarding the safety of employees: Along with the tracking physical assets, IoT can be used to improve worker safety also. Employees in hazardous environments such as mines, oil and gas fields, and chemical and power plants and also cement industries need to be aware of the occurrence of a hazardous event that might affect their health. When they are connected to IoT sensor-based applications, they can be notified of accidents and helped or rescued as fast as possible. IoT applications are also used for wearables that can monitor human health and environmental conditions.
- Another area in the cement industry which is seeing heavy usage of IoT is machine automation. Machine automation using IoT removes the need for manpower making the work efficiency effectively enhanced, with much higher accuracy and cost-effectiveness. IoT basically enhances the automated characteristics of the machines making them capable of completing processes quicker while using lesser power and providing better control.
Thus, the IoT is most beneficial to industries, especially cement industries. The IoT has helped the cement industries to save a lot of energy and raw materials as well as increase sustainability.